Skip to main content

A Mommy Friend

She was just done being a baby and I was almost done being a girl when I met Ashley Walker. Fair hair and large blue eyes, all of us almost teenage girls wanted to hold the adorable toddler. And as toddlers often have an affinity for the people who are not quite grown up yet, she’d sit on my lap during the worship time at my parents’ small group. Occasionally, her mom would me hire me and I’d babysit. Then little Ashley and her family moved to Oregon—the modern day Oregon Trail where California transplants sought out new and better opportunities. Land!

We visited, my sister and I, in our late teenage years, it was our first independent plane flight and Ashley’s mom made sure we had a grand time: snow-boarding, new youth groups, dinner out, the toboggan run. By this time Ashley had turned into a little girl, who loved nuns and star wars. (I’m sure her husband is glad she gave up her determined ambition to take the habit). Her fair hair was longer, but her eyes were still blue, and she talked like a miniature grown-up.

I went to college, England, returned, and taught. I’d just began dating my now husband when I learned that Ashley was getting married. Married? Ashley? The little girl I baby-sat? Soon after, the beautiful, young bride announced that she was becoming a mother. Nine months later, Quincy Kercher came. The large blue eyes, on baby Quincy ruffled past memories of those other blue eyes.

I wouldn’t become a mother for another year, but how beautiful it was to see glimpses of the life of young Ashley as a mom. The little girl I knew had grown up. She had a daughter of her own.

Then when my own daughter was born, I realized there are strands that link mothers in solidarity both young and old. We are members of a group of keepers, determined to protect the little ones in our care. We desire to help them see, to watch them flourish, to teach them. To someday witness them grown up and serving God. 


I was pregnant when I last saw Ashley. A woman now, she was full of vivacity. Her hair, darkened, was stylishly done. And what a good mother she made.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Little Girls and a Bench

  It was one of those moments before dinner in which I could have easily moved into the busy rush of dinner, clean-up, and bed-time, when I was stopped in my tracks. Isabelle, with her round face, and bright eyes, and fifteen month strength, clamored onto a bench and made it apparent to me that she wanted to jump from its one foot height with the help of my hand. I obliged and a game began, a game that was immediately joined by Emmaline, her three-year old sister, who does everything with full abandon. Soon, I found myself holding two little hands as two little girls jumped off a bench in unison. What joy this moment held for them. Again. Repeat. They would have jumped as long as I allowed. Each little face starlit with the joy of leaving the earth for one brief moment in the company of one’s sister and one’s mommy.  Tonight I read in Chesterton’s Orthodoxy that, “Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want t...

When you’re not the Main Character

*love- supporting the protagonist. Frequenting coffee shops is an established habit. Lately, it’s included a little pal—my Felicity baby. Sometimes she insists that bouncing must happen or else crying will happen. I bounce her and people watch. Four teenagers sit against a window. The boy has his arm possessively draped around the shoulders of the leggy girl in the shorts. A woman by herself attempts to use her phone. She goes up to various tables and makes observations about their lives. She smiles a lot. A girl with a pretty face and textured hair sits focused on her studying. A college couple sits in the high metal chairs. She speaks about ethnic diversity and the blond haired boy listens with eyes alert. They lean in just far enough to show they are not a couple yet. A million wishes, wants, prayers and thoughts must radiate from the coffee shop. Main characters plodding along their own plot lines. And I bounce my baby, and I also march along my sub-conscious starring r...

They Say One Gets Tired as a Mom

My mom tells me that little Leilani cried her first six months of life and then began to crawl and the crying ceased. She said I just wanted to go places and my baby body inhibited me. Since learning what hands and knees were good for, going places and doing things has been standard operating procedure for me. Energy in abundance and curiosity has enlivened me. And it’s been fun—The read books when one wants, stay up late, travel the world, spend money without thinking, talk to friends whenever, carefree, self-centered, child to adult type of fun. Now the fun is different, because I am a wife and mother. Getting married and having Felicity are the two best things that ever happened in my life, but with those wonderful happenings, I discovered burden bearing in a way never previously experienced. Marriage is said to be sanctifying. The same can be said for motherhood, because in these two experiences an overwhelming desire for the good of one’s husband and daughter becomes ...