Skip to main content

Felicity and the Age of Discovery

Almost six months has Felicity been a part of our everyday household. (Sure the nine months prior, she was present, but her needs manifested themselves in mommy eating extra ice cream). Somewhere around month four she became really curious about everything. Now when I hold her unless she is very sleepy, her arms and legs wiggle and she thrusts her little head out looking around at everything drinking in the books, the Christmas tree, the piano, the light, and the color contrasts. Then if she is let down, she grabs objects with her little hands and soon after grabbing them, they make there way to her mouth for a more thorough investigation.

Today it is raining. When I opened the shade Felicity couldn’t take her eyes off of the dripping world. Watching her watch the world I can't help but wonder what thoughts cross her brain? Does she know the difference between rain and sunshine? Does she recognize the window as the same window she looked out before?

The world of our little house is large to her and I think she finds it as wondrous as I find England or Italy or any other place I visited and explored. Her England is the kitchen and her view of the Thames is the raindrops outside our home. Her museum is the books on the shelf and her exotic foods are the taste of water or berry or ice from her teething ring.


We all must start in the world as explorers and the first age of life is an age of discovery. Yet, her exploration reminds me that we should never stop exploring. Eliot says it well, “We shall not cease from exploration, but the end of our exploring will be to arrive at the place we started and to know it for the first time." All ages of our lives need to be ages of discovery. Eventually exploring leads a person home to wonder at the raindrops falling outside the window.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflections

Tonight, squished between my eldest two children, I read bedtime stories on my big bed—a move we made because my pregnant body filled up the whole toddler bed leaving no room for my story-ready children. We started with a book on friendship told from the perspective of a shy chipmunk who didn’t want to leave his mommy. Then we moved on to a story about Peteriffic building a block tower high into the sky. We finished with our Bible reading and knowing that we are in Holy Week I then showed my kids pictures of the Lord’s Supper and Good Friday. I told them that Jesus died so that everyone could be raised from the dead, and then, “Boom.” I was right in the middle of a conversation I wasn’t expecting to have on this ordinary bedtime, with late daylight streaming softly into my bedroom window.    “Will we all die, Mama?” asked Gabe, my three-year-old.    “Yes, but Jesus came so that we can live again. We will be raised from the dead—just like Him.”    “Will it be a long time until we get ra

What to do in Case of Pandemic

“Gabe when you are afraid, will you trust in God?” the small, sincere voice of my daughter, Felicity, drifted to me as I sat on the couch, legs folded under me, looking at my creative writing projects. They were tucked in bed and should have been sleeping.  My son’s voice, largely ignoring Felicity, hummed and thrummed as he made his toy cars vroom along in what sounded like a vaguely destructive manner. Then her voice continued, singing the lyrics, “When I am afraid I will trust in you, I will trust in you, I will trust in you.”              The interchanged warmed my heart. Yes, I want them both to trust in God when they are afraid.  And I want to trust in God when I am afraid.  And I want someone to remind me to trust in God when I’m tempted not to trust in Him.  **             I began this post several weeks ago when ordinary life thrummed and hummed. As I revisit this story, ordinary has shifted and changed and the hum as I and many knew it has shifted. The

The Adventure Begins Very Early on the Morning of July 15th

Note: In-N-Out is the first place I go when I arrive back in California. The California chain tastes like coming home. My day had been planned. I was going to walk with friends. Have coffee with my mom and a phone date in the evening. Followed by my husband asking, “what should we have for dinner.” And me responding “In-n-Out.” I’ll admit it I did exercise in hopes of expediting the labor process, but as I had been told, “babies will come when they will.” So I laid my plans: Plan A the aforementioned walk etc. and Plan B— Have a baby. When my mom arrived, full of more energy than I’m used to her having (a contrast with my labored lack of energy), it was apparent that Plan B was in effect. We were most definitely not going to coffee. I was going to have a baby. Labor… it’s not fun. Epidurals… they are a wonderful invention. It was late evening. I’d hoped they’d let me push on the 14 th . The history nerd in me was caught by the idea of having a baby on Bastille D