Skip to main content

All About a Car Seat

It was all about the car seat, the baby car seat.

You know the type—the ones new moms or dads hold on one arm while transporting a sleeping baby? The ones that rock and have flexible sun shades? A few months ago, my two-year-old graduated out of her portable car seat. She didn’t grow out of her baby car seat, she’d just finally made the weight requirements necessary for the front facing chair. The transition happened without a hitch, she happily took to her new ride…until today.

One of the perks of being so small is that the baby car seat is her back-up. Today she needed her back-up seat for a friend to drop her off. So, I packed her baby car seat into the car next to her big girl’s seat and went back into the house to gather a few more belongings for our trip to my friend’s house. When I walked back to the car, there sat Felicity, happily smiling and cozily ensconced in her baby car seat. Naturally, expecting reason from my two-year-old, I told her she needed to sit in her big girl’s seat.

Devastation, complete, tear-drenched devastation was followed by my wrestling of her into the other seat. A little girl’s dream, her accomplishment had been crushed.

It seemed so small a thing, moving her from the baby car seat to the big girl seat, but in her little world, it was huge. And why shouldn’t it be huge? That seat sheltered her on her first car ride home from the hospital. Almost every day of her little life she spent some time in that seat. It was a cozy, comfortable place.

I paused.


How often do I take refuge in the cozy comfort of a loved place that maturity dictates I move beyond? Compassion should frame my response to my daughter, but also the knowledge that it is for me to teach her how to let go of beloved comforts and embrace the maturity of new spaces. Then I need to remember that I too, must move sometimes beyond comfortable places. And pray that I have the wisdom to recognize when a new maturity is being asked of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflections

Tonight, squished between my eldest two children, I read bedtime stories on my big bed—a move we made because my pregnant body filled up the whole toddler bed leaving no room for my story-ready children. We started with a book on friendship told from the perspective of a shy chipmunk who didn’t want to leave his mommy. Then we moved on to a story about Peteriffic building a block tower high into the sky. We finished with our Bible reading and knowing that we are in Holy Week I then showed my kids pictures of the Lord’s Supper and Good Friday. I told them that Jesus died so that everyone could be raised from the dead, and then, “Boom.” I was right in the middle of a conversation I wasn’t expecting to have on this ordinary bedtime, with late daylight streaming softly into my bedroom window.    “Will we all die, Mama?” asked Gabe, my three-year-old.    “Yes, but Jesus came so that we can live again. We will be raised from the dead—just like Him.”    “Will it be a long time until we get ra

What to do in Case of Pandemic

“Gabe when you are afraid, will you trust in God?” the small, sincere voice of my daughter, Felicity, drifted to me as I sat on the couch, legs folded under me, looking at my creative writing projects. They were tucked in bed and should have been sleeping.  My son’s voice, largely ignoring Felicity, hummed and thrummed as he made his toy cars vroom along in what sounded like a vaguely destructive manner. Then her voice continued, singing the lyrics, “When I am afraid I will trust in you, I will trust in you, I will trust in you.”              The interchanged warmed my heart. Yes, I want them both to trust in God when they are afraid.  And I want to trust in God when I am afraid.  And I want someone to remind me to trust in God when I’m tempted not to trust in Him.  **             I began this post several weeks ago when ordinary life thrummed and hummed. As I revisit this story, ordinary has shifted and changed and the hum as I and many knew it has shifted. The

The Adventure Begins Very Early on the Morning of July 15th

Note: In-N-Out is the first place I go when I arrive back in California. The California chain tastes like coming home. My day had been planned. I was going to walk with friends. Have coffee with my mom and a phone date in the evening. Followed by my husband asking, “what should we have for dinner.” And me responding “In-n-Out.” I’ll admit it I did exercise in hopes of expediting the labor process, but as I had been told, “babies will come when they will.” So I laid my plans: Plan A the aforementioned walk etc. and Plan B— Have a baby. When my mom arrived, full of more energy than I’m used to her having (a contrast with my labored lack of energy), it was apparent that Plan B was in effect. We were most definitely not going to coffee. I was going to have a baby. Labor… it’s not fun. Epidurals… they are a wonderful invention. It was late evening. I’d hoped they’d let me push on the 14 th . The history nerd in me was caught by the idea of having a baby on Bastille D