Skip to main content

Slaying Giants






Days like this begin when the night before I choose not to sleep, because I must read a few more lines from some news site or scroll one last time through the glowing screen of my iPhone instead of making good on my resolve to read quality literature and journal prior to bed. They continue when I wake up earlier than usual to teach, but finish teaching to realize that my children also went to bed later then they should. So now, everyone’s patience operates like feet hitting a wet spot on a wood floor. Bam. You loose traction. And first one then another is upset and done. That tantrum sparked another melt-down from someone else, and as I try to not join the melt-downs, and instead attempt to be the adult I hazard some words of explanation. 

“Your choices impact us all.” I tell one of them. 

My children’s choice do change the tenor of the room for good or for ill, but so do my choices. On days of this sort, where nothing is really wrong, other than a strong case of the grumpies, that gets passed on like some contagious disease it feels absurd that it should even be called A DAY LIKE THIS. 

And yet, and yet—as I heard in a story from a party in which the guests told stories, and in a book that I read recently this is what must happen. You must “keep putting one foot in front of the other,” and “make a beginning.” And from this all, I know that I must keep beginning, and beginning again. Even now, at the end of A DAY LIKE THIS they have yet to fall to sleep, because Gabe is scared of heaven and giants. 

Maybe we are all a little bit scared of heaven, that wonderful unknown, that remains unknown, because as the bard said, “No traveler has returned.” But someone did return.

It was Christ, and I picture Mary crying in the garden, and imagine the warmth and goodness of His voice, as he called her by name. Maybe one shouldn’t be scared. And if there are giants, aren’t they just the DAYS LIKE THIS waiting to be slain? Only giant slayers must remember that they are the people of God.  












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Little Girls and a Bench

  It was one of those moments before dinner in which I could have easily moved into the busy rush of dinner, clean-up, and bed-time, when I was stopped in my tracks. Isabelle, with her round face, and bright eyes, and fifteen month strength, clamored onto a bench and made it apparent to me that she wanted to jump from its one foot height with the help of my hand. I obliged and a game began, a game that was immediately joined by Emmaline, her three-year old sister, who does everything with full abandon. Soon, I found myself holding two little hands as two little girls jumped off a bench in unison. What joy this moment held for them. Again. Repeat. They would have jumped as long as I allowed. Each little face starlit with the joy of leaving the earth for one brief moment in the company of one’s sister and one’s mommy.  Tonight I read in Chesterton’s Orthodoxy that, “Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want t...

When you’re not the Main Character

*love- supporting the protagonist. Frequenting coffee shops is an established habit. Lately, it’s included a little pal—my Felicity baby. Sometimes she insists that bouncing must happen or else crying will happen. I bounce her and people watch. Four teenagers sit against a window. The boy has his arm possessively draped around the shoulders of the leggy girl in the shorts. A woman by herself attempts to use her phone. She goes up to various tables and makes observations about their lives. She smiles a lot. A girl with a pretty face and textured hair sits focused on her studying. A college couple sits in the high metal chairs. She speaks about ethnic diversity and the blond haired boy listens with eyes alert. They lean in just far enough to show they are not a couple yet. A million wishes, wants, prayers and thoughts must radiate from the coffee shop. Main characters plodding along their own plot lines. And I bounce my baby, and I also march along my sub-conscious starring r...

They Say One Gets Tired as a Mom

My mom tells me that little Leilani cried her first six months of life and then began to crawl and the crying ceased. She said I just wanted to go places and my baby body inhibited me. Since learning what hands and knees were good for, going places and doing things has been standard operating procedure for me. Energy in abundance and curiosity has enlivened me. And it’s been fun—The read books when one wants, stay up late, travel the world, spend money without thinking, talk to friends whenever, carefree, self-centered, child to adult type of fun. Now the fun is different, because I am a wife and mother. Getting married and having Felicity are the two best things that ever happened in my life, but with those wonderful happenings, I discovered burden bearing in a way never previously experienced. Marriage is said to be sanctifying. The same can be said for motherhood, because in these two experiences an overwhelming desire for the good of one’s husband and daughter becomes ...